Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 1

Today during my brief introduction to Auckland, I learned some interesting things:

1.) New Zealanders are probably incapable of feeling the cold.

I was pretty intrigued by this one because I know that Auckland rarely dips below freezing, so in my folly I thought I would be more acclimated to cold weather.  Yeah.  It's less than sixty degrees outside, yet people for the most part are walking outside in shorts, wife beaters, and flip flops.  My uncle says this is typical dress code unless it snows.  Which is never.

2.) Soy milk? Wha?

After stopping by a grocery store with the intention of buying rice milk, I learned that this is not (yet, I hope,) a mainstream thing in New Zealand. And neither is soy milk.  Or almond milk.  Or hemp milk.  I  managed to find a wimpy litre of soy milk.  Joy.  That will last me like, an hour.

3.) Imported goods prices are ridiculous.

My uncle took me to the American shop just for kicks and giggles today.  I was like oh! hey! it's pretzel m&m's!  I love those things!  Oh, wow! It's...it's...wait...$32.23?!?!

4.) I am in the shire.  Pictures will follow.  Probably tomorrow

5.) There is a strange plastic bags paradox.

This confuses me a lot.  Apparently plastic bags are utilized heavily everywhere in the city, which I suppose is the norm.  However, the whole reusable bag concept hasn't reached here, so I would assume that the quantity per person for plastic bags would be higher.  With this in mind, the streets should be covered with escaped plastic bags, rolling in the wind.  Like plastic bags do.  But I haven't seen a single one yet.  Hell, I haven't even seen a single piece of litter on the streets.  Will investigate this further.

It's not like the trash actually goes in the trash.  That would be ridiculous.  Exhibit A: Philly.

Well, I am pushing to stay up these last four hours in order to acclimatize to the time change.  I want to die.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home