Sunday, August 5, 2012

Existential Sunday SEPTA Read

Returned to Philadelphia today, via SEPTA.  I really enjoy being able to travel from Pottstown area to Philly on $3.55.  It takes about an hour longer than simply driving in, but it allows me to relax and read a book.  Except that I forgot to bring a book.

Luckily, I found a copy of The Flies by Jean-Paul Sartre stuffed deep down into some forgotten recess of my bookbag.  If you aren't familiar with the play, it's pretty much an existentialist interpretation of the Greek Electra story.  If you're not familiar with Electra and/or Orestes, I will give you a quick summary:

This king, Agamemnon, sacrifices one of his daughters to save his kingdom or whatever.  His wife-Clytemnestra is somewhat upset with him for doing this.  She-and her lover-Aegisthus decide to kill him.

Much, much, later, her other daughter-Electra, and her long lost son Orestes reunite and decide to kill Aegisthus and Clytemnestra to avenge their father.

One scene that really caught my attention was a confrontation between Zeus and Orestes, after he makes this declaration of being "free" (existentially).


Zeus was all like:  I don't like that I can't manipulate you and stuff. God hates free thinkers!!You are an aberration of nature etc etc.

Then Orestes says,  "Let [the earth] crumble!  Let the rocks revile me, and flowers wilt at my coming.  Your whole universe is not enough to prove me wrong.  You are the king of gods, king of stones and stars, king of the waves of the sea.  But you are not the king of man." (From Act III of The Flies by Sartre).

Existentialist or no, that is pretty epic and bad ass.  I totally understand where Orestes is coming from with the "whole universe not being enough to prove me wrong" thing.  It's exactly how I feel when I get into a fight with my parents.

Well, just wanted to share a tidbit from my day.  Hope it wasn't too dull due to its educational value.
Cheers!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home